Staindrop Lodge was built in 1806 by George Newton who named it after the village
of Staindrop in County Durham where he was born in 1761 It remained the home of
the members of the Newton family for over a century until 1920 George Newton, his
son Thomas, his grandson Thomas Chambers Newton, and his great granddaughter
Kate Newton all lived here.
In 1904 the house was substantially rebuilt by Thomas Chambers Newton, and in
1946 it was taken over for use by the board of directors of Newton Chambers and
Having been used as a head office for the Newton Chambers Company, it was later
converted to a restaurant, small hotel and function venue.
September 2002 saw Staindrop Lodge reopen after more than two years of major
building and refurbishment work. Now a landmark bar, brasserie and hotel, influenced by the Art Deco design
movement, we have created a venue ‘Open to All’ where quality of service and an
informal, comfortable ambience is a paramount prerequisite.